Build the Future of Outdoor Navigation
Software Engineer (Remote, Fulltime/Benefits)
Come work at Gaia GPS, and build software and maps for the wildest adventures on earth. Help people explore the backcountry around the globe with cutting edge data and tools.
Hiring Engineers Slowly in Early 2021
If you apply in January or early February this year, we're likely to either tell you we may want to talk later, or we'll send a polite rejection if it doesn't seem like a good fit. We mostly stopped doing interviews over the holiday and haven't wanted to pick it up again quite yet. We grew the company from 20->35 people in 2020, mostly in engineering, and it seems like a good time to take engineering hiring very slowly now.
Internally, there are calls to hire someone to work on the maps team, working with data to build maps and improve our "GaiaTopo" map. There are also calls to hire engineers to focus on iOS and analytics.
Lifestyle and Benefits
- The company is all remote, currently distributed across North America.
- We have the most flexible work environment, which lets all of us balance family and other interests, with work.
- We offer 4 weeks of vacation, and another 12 paid holidays that can be shuffled around. We provide 2 months of paid maternity and 1 month of paid paternity.
- Non-salary financial benefits include health insurance and 401K matching.
- We provide the best computers, monitors, tablets, and other home office equipment. We reimburse home internet and mobile phone bills. We comp expenses for any sort of books or other materials for learning.
- We have a retreat every 9 months, alternating with and without families (past ones include Tahoe, Zion, Rocky Mountain NP, Park City, camping, backcountry skiing, etc), to hang-out and mingle the remote team.
Skills and Requirements
- You must have published complex websites, apps, or other software.
- Experience in our stack is a plus. Our front-end includes Swift/Objective-C, Android Kotlin/Java, and React. Our back-end includes Postgres/PostGIS, AWS, Django/Python, node.js, and Docker. We have extensive map building infrastructure based on OpenStreetMap and other open data and tools.