Build the Future of Outdoor Navigation
Software Engineer (Remote, Fulltime/Benefits)
We are looking for 1-2 engineers to work on the main Gaia GPS web app at gaiagps.com/map. Experience with React is required - we usually don't require a specific tech experience, but for these hires we're requiring it.
About the Work Environment
Engineering at Gaia GPS means being on 1 of 2 small teams. Each team has cross-platform skills (iOS, Android, web, design) and sets its own roadmap in collaboration with user support and marketing. There is a huge frontier of ideas to explore, from core maptech and search problems, to the quest for an easy and engaging UX.
Gaia GPS has recently grown to 30 people, including 15 engineers, 6 people in support/testing, 3 in marketing, 2 designers, and 4 managers. The company has a software culture — marketing, support, and management folks do a lot of coding to improve ops and help with the product.
The company is boot-strapped/profitable, was founded in 2008, and has grown quickly since 2018.
Lifestyle and Benefits
- The company is all remote, currently distributed across North America.
- We have the most flexible work environment, which lets all of us balance family and other interests, with work.
- We offer 4 weeks of vacation, and another 12 paid holidays that can be shuffled around. We provide 2 months of paid maternity and 1 month of paid paternity.
- Non-salary financial benefits include health insurance and 401K matching.
- We provide the best computers, monitors, tablets, and other home office equipment. We reimburse home internet and mobile phone bills. We comp expenses for any sort of books or other materials for learning.
- We have a retreat every 9 months, alternating with and without families (past ones include Tahoe, Zion, Rocky Mountain NP, Park City, camping, backcountry skiing, etc), to hang-out and mingle the remote team.
Skills and Requirements
- We heavily favor candidates who do a lot outdoors.
- You must have published complex websites, apps, or other software.
- Experience in our stack is a plus. Our front-end includes Swift/Objective-C, Android Java, and React. Our back-end includes Postgres/PostGIS, AWS, Django/Python, node.js, and Docker. We have extensive map building infrastructure based on OpenStreetMap and other open data and tools.