Write, Edit, and Grow an Outdoor Community
Lead Writer & Editor
Come be the person who writes the most and cares the most about good writing at Gaia GPS. You'll write or edit all the important words flowing from the company.
Writing at Gaia GPS has many facets, including park and trail descriptions, product announcements on the blog, outdoor and technical articles, newsletters, social media, new webpages for gaiagps.com, and storyboards for videos.
Your work will also have some editorial and managerial aspects, including recruiting Gaia GPS users, running contests on social media, and editing important documents across departments.
This is some experience we think a good candidate might have:
- you authored a popular blog, especially outdoor-related, or otherwise have a really great written or multimedia presence online
- you worked as an editor or writer at a professional magazine, newspaper, or large website
- you wrote notable fiction, such as a published novel or short story
We also heavily favor candidates who do a lot outdoors.
Lifestyle and Benefits
- The company is all remote, currently distributed across North America.
- We have the most flexible work environment, which lets all of us balance family and other interests, with work.
- We offer 4 weeks of vacation, and another 12 paid holidays that can be shuffled around. We provide 2 months of paid maternity, 1 month of paid paternity, and additional unpaid leave.
- Non-salary financial benefits include bonuses based on company performance (you'll learn the formula while interviewing), health insurance, and 401K matching.
- We provide the best computers, monitors, tablets, and other home office equipment. We reimburse home internet and mobile phone bills. We comp expenses for any sort of books or other materials for learning.
- We have a retreat every 9 months, alternating with and without families (past ones include Tahoe, Zion, Rocky Mountain NP, camping, backcountry skiing, etc), to hang-out and mingle the remote team.
Apply by Email
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with subject, "Lead Writer/Editor."
- Attach or link your resume.
- We'd prefer a cover letter around 5-10 sentences, 2-3 short paragraphs. Tell us:
- why this job in particular appeals to you
- why you are a particularly good candidate for it
- what you do outdoors, and if you use Gaia GPS, other apps, GPS devices, or outdoor maps
- optional: say what salary you want - this is encouraged for highly experienced applicants with corporate backgrounds (minimum is $32K/year)