Bachelorpacking 2017 - Daniel Boone Camp to Art Loeb Spur Trail, Haywood County, NC, USA
Art Loeb Trail N-S, NC
- The area was in a draught.
- Coming from the north at Grassy Cove Top take the left split around the top. To the right is grown over and tight.
- Great campsites just before and on Tennent Mtn. Also on Baslam but would be heavy with tourists.
- Balsam Water Spring: After leaving the Balsam Knob pay attention shortly there after for the trail down to the parking area for the spring. At the bottom turn right on Ivestor Gap Trail for 200m for a spring on right. Pipe coming out of bank.
- After joining the Mountains to Sea Trail make sure you follow the white blazes and once they stop back tract to find trail. We went down a fork to the left and on a trail that was not on any map that took us to the BRP intersection of the parking road. If you do the same turn right or west on the Parkway and walk a mile to the trailhead on the left. A clear ridge going down.
- Deep Gap Shelter had no water, the stream was dry. Would carry enough water from Balsam to get to Butter Gap if you are not sure there is water.
- Pilot Mountain was difficult on both sides.
- Not many many campsites between Pilot and Chestnut Mtn. We found a couple spots about mile 19 just before Chestnut Mtn.