From the Michigan Historical marker on-site:In 1824 Joshua Simmons of Bristol, New York, obtained a patent fromthe federal government for 160 acres of land in Livonia Township.Simmons and his wife, Hannah, were among the township’s earliestwhite settlers. Their first home was a log shanty, built in 1826.In 1841 they constructed this house in the Greek Revival style,popular in New York State. The farm was named Meadow Brook. JoshuaSimmons (1801-1882) hewed lumber to build the earliest barns andmills in Livonia Farmington and Plymouth. He continued to acquireacreage, becoming one of Livonia’s most prominent landholders. In1920 Sherwin and Jean Boyd Hill purchased the farm and renamed itGreenmead. The city of Livonia acquired the property in 1976 as apark. The Joshua Simmons Farm is listed in the National Register ofHistoric Places. (from [www.waymarking.com](http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM3EYN).