The O'Shaughnessy (pronounced Oh-Shawn-Uh-See) was built on theScioto River in 1925 to create a source of drinking water for theCity of Columbus, and the surrounding areas. The dam is named forJerry O'Shaughnessy who proposed the idea for the dam, andsupervised the project.The dam, and therefore the waterfall, stands 84 feet tall, andis 879 feet long. The O'Shaughnessy Reservoir holds approximately6.3 billion gallons of water covering a surface area of 845 acres.The dam also serves as a bridge for vehicular traffic traveling onGlick Rd.The flow of the waterfall can vary depending on how much rainhas recently fallen in the area. At times there is but a meretrickle, other times the flow is quite fast and strong.In 1987 a pair of hydroelectric turbines were installed. Theycan only operate when the flow is sufficient, so they can onlyintermittently provide power. They can produce up to 5 megawatts.In 1990 the dam was placed of the U.S. National Register ofHistoric Places, and in 1991 the dam was restored. (from [www.waymarking.com](http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM2RM3).