is the central railway station of Mannheim in Germany. It is one of the 21 Category 1 stations in Germany. It is the second largest traffic hub in southwestern Germany after Stuttgart Hauptbahnhof, with 626 trains a day, including 185 long-distance trains. 76,000 passengers embark, disembark or transfer between trains at the station each day. The station was modernised in 2001.
thumbThe original station of the Badische Hauptbahn (Baden mainline) from Heidelberg, opened in 1840, was a terminal station in the area of the Tattersall. Plans for a bridge over the Rhine to Ludwigshafen (now the Konrad Adenauer bridge), however, soon made it necessary to move the station.
The station building, some of which still survives, was built between 1871 and 1876. From around 1900, consideration was given to extending or relocating the station. In 1915 it was decided to expand the existing station. In 1927, the front of the station was demolished and rebuilt 10 m closer to the street, doubling the (from [www.wikipedia.org](http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mannheim_Hauptbahnhof).