Basin & Saddleback
Basin #15- 4,827'
Saddleback #16- 4,515'
Easy hike up the John's Brook valley to slant rock. Campsites and water everywhere. Very tranquil section of trail. JB has crystalline water and lovely pools. Slant rock area makes a great spot for a peak bagging basecamp. Shorey short cut trail is steep! Lots of wet spots from after Slant rock to Basin summit.
- Fun scrambles with positive holds up Basin. Light breeze on top, warm. Views of Marcy and Haystack are phenomenal! Rugged country.
- The best scramble in the Dacks is to be found on Saddleback! Loved it. Exposure, amazing views, a few routes to choose from, perfect :) Clouds rolled in on Saddleback, still warm.
- 4.45 hrs to Basin summit
- 45 min from Basin to Saddleback
- American Toads, shrew, down in the valley
- 75 degrees down low
- Marcy Brook was 46 degrees!!!