Last Updated: 3/13/2019
- 3/13/2019 - updated the company address under 13. Contact Us
- 3/9/2018 - ground-up rewrite authored by a lawyer, while in the past we had just winged it
- Collection of Information.
By their nature, the Services track certain data from your mobile device that may be used to identify you individually. Such data may include, but is not limited to, routes, tracks, waypoints and geo-tagged photos that you take while out hiking, mountain biking, and offroading. When registering to use the Services, we may also require you to provide certain personally identifiable information about yourself, such as your name, company/organization name, email address, and/or social media username (these are referred to below as your "Personal Contact Information").
When purchasing the Services, we will require you to provide financial and billing information, such as billing name and address, and credit card number ("Billing Information"). Your Personal Contact Information and your Billing Information, together with any other information we gather through the Services that may be used to identify, contact, or locate you individually, are collectively referred to herein as your "Personal Information."
Data, Diagnostic & Login Information
You may be able to create, upload, publish, transmit, distribute, display, store or share information, data, text, graphics, photos, video, messages, maps or other materials using our Services (this is collectively referred to below as "Data"). Some of this Data may be stored and maintained on our servers. Through the Services, you will have the ability to select that some or all of your Data be made available to other users. Data that you select to be made available to other users shall be referred to as "Public Data." Any Data that you do not affirmatively indicate through the Services to be designated Public Data will be deemed "Private Data." If you run into technical errors in the course of using the Services, we will automatically obtain a crash report along with certain logging information from your system documenting the error ("Diagnostic Information"). You may opt out of providing such Diagnostic Information, in your discretion. Such information may contain information regarding your Operating System version, hardware, browser version (and .NET version information in case of Windows systems), and your email address, if provided. Additionally, certain login information may be maintained in a cookie stored locally on your personal computing device (i.e. not on a server) in order to streamline the login process ("Login Information").
Usage and Analytics Information
As you use our Services, we may also collect information through the use of commonly-used information-gathering tools, such as cookies, log files, and Web beacons. Such Information may include standard information regarding your mobile device, browser type, browser language, Operating System, Internet Protocol ("IP") address, and the actions you take on our web site (such as the web pages viewed and the links clicked) or while using the Services. Collectively, this information is referred to as "Usage and Analytics Information."
When you use our Services, we may use GPS technology (or other similar technology) to determine your current location. Such information is referred to as "Geo-Location Information." If you do not want us to use your location for the purposes set forth below, you can turn off the location tracking option for the Services located in your account settings, or otherwise in your mobile phone settings.
- Use of Information. We use the information we collect in the following ways:
Personal Contact Information
We use this information to manage your account, to provide the Services, to maintain our customer/visitor lists, to respond to your inquiries or request feedback, for identification and authentication purposes, for service improvement, and to address issues like malicious use of the Services. We may also use Personal Contact Information for limited marketing purposes, namely, to contact you to further discuss your interest in the Services, and to send you information about us or our partners.
We use Billing Information to manage your account, to provide the Services, and to check the financial qualifications of prospective customers and to collect payment for the Services. We may use a third-party service provider to manage credit card processing. If we do so, such a service provider will not be permitted to store, retain, or use Billing Information except for the sole purpose of credit card processing on our behalf.
Data, Diagnostic Information and Login Information
We use this information for the purpose of administering and improving our Services to you. We may also use this information in a de-identified, anonymous way in conjunction with an analytics service such as Google Analytics to monitor and analyze use of the Services, for the Services’ technical administration, and to increase the Services’ functionality and user-friendliness. We may reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute the Public Data, to other users of the Services, to the public, or to any third party. We may use Private Data, in an anonymized manner, to provide data to users of the Services as to the popularity of existing features on maps, such as trails and points of interest and the frequency with which such locations have been visited in a given month.
Usage and Analytics Information
We may use your Usage and Analytics Information in a de-identified, anonymous way in conjunction with an analytics service such as Google Analytics to monitor and analyze use of the Services, for the Services’ technical administration, to increase the Services’ functionality and user-friendliness, and to verify users have the authorization needed for the Services to process their requests.
You may opt out of Google Analytics tracking. To opt out in the mobile app, go to the Settings screen and disable the tracking.To toggle tracking for gaiagps.com, log in, and a button will appear below this sentence that lets you opt out.
We may use this information for the purpose of administering and improving our Services to you, such as by providing you with relevant advertisements and promotions. We may also use your Geo-Location Information in an anonymized manner in conjunction with an analytics service such as Google Analytics to monitor and analyze use of the Services, for the Services’ technical administration, and to increase the Services’ functionality and user-friendliness.
Please note that if you are registering for or using the Services as an administrator on behalf of an organization, you may be able to view the activity and/or content associated with your sub-users’ use of the Services, including, but not limited to, their Personally Identifiable Information.
Please note that if you are using the Services at the request or as part of an organization, your organization’s account administrator may be able to view certain activity and content associated with use of the Services, including, but not limited to, elements of your Personally Identifiable Information.
From time to time we may employ third parties to help us provide and/or improve the Services. These third parties may have limited access to databases of user information or registered member information solely for the purpose of helping us to provide and/or improve the Services and they will be subject to contractual restrictions prohibiting them from using the information about our users for any other purpose. Except as specifically set forth below, such agents or third parties do not have any rights to use Personal Information beyond what is absolutely necessary to assist us.
We may disclose your Personal Information to third parties without your consent if we have reason to believe that disclosing this information is necessary to identify, contact or bring legal action against someone who may be causing injury to or interference with (either intentionally or unintentionally) our rights or property, other users of the Services, or anyone else (including the rights or property of anyone else) that could be harmed by such activities. We may disclose Personal Information when we believe in good faith that such disclosure is required by and in accordance with the law.
- Mapbox. We use a location data platform called "Mapbox" to display maps through the Services. Unlike our other vendors, who may use your Personal Information solely for the purpose of helping us to provide and/or improve the Services, Mapbox may also be able to use certain elements of your Usage and Analytics Information and Geo-Location Information in an anonymized manner to improve their own map, direction, travel time, and search services. You may opt out of providing Mapbox with such information, in your discretion.
- Non-US Users. These Services are hosted in the United States and are intended primarily for visitors located within the United States. If you choose to use the Services from other regions of the world with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from U.S. law, then please note that you may be transferring your Personal Information outside of those regions to the United States for storage and processing. By providing your Personal Information through the Services, you consent to such transfer, storage, and processing.
Security. The security of your Personal Information is important to us. We use commercially reasonable efforts to store and maintain your Personal Information in a secure environment. We take technical, contractual, administrative, and physical security steps designed to protect Personal Information that you provide to us. We have implemented procedures designed to limit the dissemination of your Personal Information to only such designated staff as are reasonably necessary to carry out the stated purposes we have communicated to you.
You are also responsible for helping to protect the security of your Personal Information. For instance, never give out your password, and safeguard your user name, password and personal credentials when you are using the Services, so that other people will not have access to your Personal Information. Furthermore, you are responsible for maintaining the security of any personal computing device on which you utilize the Services.
- Access and Accuracy. You have the right to access the Personal Information we hold about you in order to verify the Personal Information we have collected in respect to you and to have a general account of our uses of that information. Upon receipt of your written request, we will provide you with a copy of your Personal Information, although in certain limited circumstances we may not be able to make all relevant information available to you, such as where that information also pertains to another user. In such circumstances we will provide reasons for the denial to you upon request. We will endeavor to deal with all requests for access and modifications in a timely manner.
We will make every reasonable effort to keep your Personal Information accurate and up-to-date, and we will provide you with mechanisms to update, correct, delete or add to your Personal Information as appropriate. As appropriate, this amended Personal Information will be transmitted to those parties to which we are permitted to disclose your information. Having accurate Personal Information about you enables us to give you the best possible service.
Under California Civil Code Sections 1798.83-1798.84, California residents are entitled to ask us for a notice identifying the categories of Personal Information which we share with our affiliates and/or third parties for marketing purposes, and providing contact information for such affiliates and/or third parties. If you are a California resident and would like a copy of this notice, please submit a written request to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Safe Harbor. TrailBehind, Inc. does not yet participate in the Safe Harbor program developed by the U.S. Department of Commerce and the European Union. For more information about the Safe Harbor, visit the U.S. Department of Commerce's Safe Harbor Web site.
- Contact Us. You can help by keeping us informed of any changes such as a change of email address or telephone number. If you would like to access your information, if you have any questions, comments or suggestions, if you find any errors in our information about you, or if you have a complaint concerning our compliance with applicable privacy laws, please contact us at email@example.com or by mail at:
1474 University Ave.
Berkeley, CA 94702