Build Great Outdoor Software and Maps at Gaia GPS
Help build the future of outdoor mapping at Gaia GPS. We're looking for an outdoorsy and experienced developer. You will be the 5th dev and 8th employee, at a bootstrapped software company. We enjoy a pace that requires few deadlines, where we steadily build new and better software.
We favor excellence over technical profile, and we want to meet developers from any background - full-stack, UX, back-end, systems, or even math and algorithms.
What You'll Do
Depending on your skills, you could find yourself doing many things:
- You could build an outdoor search API, adding to and improving on our algorithms, building on OpenStreetMap and properietary data.
- You could have a key insight about the signup funnel for the app, and improve revenue with just a code tweak.
- You could scale up a server as we hit the bottlenecks from growth and seasonal swings.
- You could approach Gaia GPS from a UX perspective, and have rippling effects across our consumer and B2B users.
How We Work
Everyone contributes to design and product strategy. You'll both get to work in a tight team with other good developers, and solo author stuff you think up. We code review 100%, and we like to get code right.
We code a lot, Slack a lot, and have a few, crisp meetings each week by Google Hangout. We work as a distributed team around the US (CA, MT, ID, TX, OR, WI).
Lifestyle and Benefits
We have the most flexible work environment, which lets all of us balance family and other interests, with work.
We offer 4 weeks of vacation, and another 12 paid holidays that can be shuffled around. We provide 2 months of paid maternity, 1 month of paid paternity, and additional unpaid leave.
We provide the best computers, monitors, tablets, and other home office equipment. We reimburse home internet and mobile phone bills. We also have an annual 4-day retreat, such as to Tahoe, to hang-out and mingle the remote team. We like to comp expenses for any sort of books or other materials for learning.
Skills and Requirements
- If you already use Gaia GPS or other technology outdoors, tell us about it. We heavily favor candidates who do a lot outdoors.
- You must have published complex websites, apps, or other software. Your application should include links to either open source software, or apps/websites you have helped build.
- We use many languages and platforms on the front-end/back-end, so we are looking for people who have a streak of excellence/depth, but no particular technical background. Our stack includes: postgres/postgis, AWS, django, node.js, docker/coreOS, Objective-C, Android Java, Angular.js, React-Native, OpenStreetMap, Pelias, ValHalla