Advance your Software Career
Software Engineer in Support (Remote)
Come build the future of outdoor maps at Gaia GPS.
This position, Software Engineer in Support, is most suitable for someone who aspires to be a professional software engineer and has little (but not zero) experience. You might have some experience working on personal projects, and/or you have received introductory training via bootcamps or online courses.
About the Position
This is a full-time salaried position starting at $32,000/year.
As a Software Engineer in Support, you'll split your time between spending 60% of your time providing support to Gaia GPS users, and 40% of your time working on software engineering. This role can be thought of as a hybrid between Customer Support Specialist and Software Engineer I.
The focus of your engineering work initially will be to decrease support. This might include:
- identifying and fixing bugs that lead to a lot of support tickets
- building tools and automations to make support easier and faster
- improving the website to cut down on common sales and support questions
Why not Apply as a regular Software Engineer?
The reason we created this position is because we get an overwhelming amount of applications for Software Engineer, and the people we end up interviewing even for the first tier (level I) role tend to have several years of software development experience. This role is intended to help more people break into software engineering. In addition, we have had this transition from support to development happen organically at the company, and this position is an attempt to grow and institutionalize that path at the company.
We envision that a successful Software Engineer in Support will be able to transition to Software Engineer after two years. To be successful, you will need to be passionate about software development, and you'll likely be working on your own personal projects even in your off hours.
Lifestyle and Benefits
- The company is all remote, currently distributed across North America.
- We have the most flexible work environment, which lets all of us balance family and other interests, with work.
- We offer 4 weeks of vacation, and another 12 paid holidays that can be shuffled around. We provide 2 months of paid maternity, 1 month of paid paternity, and additional unpaid leave.
- Non-salary financial benefits include bonuses based on company performance (you'll learn the formula while interviewing), health insurance, and 401K matching.
- We provide the best computers, monitors, tablets, and other home office equipment. We reimburse home internet and mobile phone bills. We comp expenses for any sort of books or other materials for learning.
- We have a retreat every 9 months, alternating with and without families (past ones include Tahoe, Zion, Rocky Mountain NP, camping, backcountry skiing, etc), to hang-out and mingle the remote team.
- Some programming experience (open source code, personal projects, technical degree, and/or bootcamp credentials)
- Also has the qualifications fo the support role:
- Concise and powerful writer
- Ability to understand and solve obscure problems (poorly phrased questions, novice users)
- Works hard without constant supervision (remote experience a plus)
- good memory/recall
- Concise and powerful writer
If you have already applied for another position with us, you can use the same resume/cover letter when applying for this position.